Oregon Literary Fellowships
The deadline to apply for an Oregon Literary Fellowships is Friday, June 26th.
Applications can be delivered in person to our office at 925 SW Washington, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Oregon Literary Fellowships are intended to help Oregon writers initiate, develop or complete literary projects in poetry, fiction, literary nonfiction, drama and young readers literature. Writers in the early stages of their career are encouraged to apply. The awards are merit-based.
Fellowships are also awarded to independent publishers and presses, to support Oregon’s independent publishers and small presses. They are awarded to presses or magazines that demonstrate a commitment to literary publishing in the areas of poetry, fiction, literary nonfiction, drama and young readers literature.
2016 fellowship guidelines can be downloaded on this page.
• Recipients must be current, full-time Oregon residents, both at the time of application and at receipt of award.
• Those who have received an Oregon Literary Fellowship in the last five years are ineligible. This means that for 2016, if a writer has received an Oregon Literary Fellowship for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 or 2011, they are ineligible to apply.
• One application per person per year will be accepted.
• Writers of color may choose to also be considered for the Writers of Color Fellowship (include addendum).
• Women may choose to also be considered for the Women Writers Fellowship (include addendum)
• Applicants may ask to be considered for both the Writers of Color Fellowship and the Women Writers Fellowship. All Applicants are only eligible to receive one fellowship.
• For writers fellowships, work authored by more than one person is ineligible.
• Current Literary Arts staff, trustees or advisory committee members are precluded from consideration; Applications by former Literary Arts staff, trustees, or committee members may be considered, provided that the staff, trustee or committee member resigned from their position at Literary Arts at least six months before the earliest submission date.
Applications will be accepted from May 1, 2015, until 5 p.m. on Friday, June 26, 2015. This is not a postmark deadline; late entries will not be accepted. Receipt of application will be acknowledged if SASE is enclosed. All applicants will be notified of final results no later than February 15, 2016.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of out-of-state judges, except for young readers literature and drama, which each have a single judge. The judges are instructed to use the writing sample as the basis of their decisions for the selection of fellowship recipients. The judges change each year, and Literary Arts strives to select judges that represent diverse communities.